Over the last couple of days we have migrated from Yorkshire across to the Lake District and we are now residing at a roadside / beachside location south of Blackpool.

[foogallery id=”667″]

The Lakes were magnificent although our first choice of stopover turned out to be a little busy probably due to the local marathon that was happening on Sunday.  However we found the rather lovely Park Cliffe campsite which was extremely well kept and clean with great showers.

I wanted to get up and out before the 10am deadline on Sunday when the route north was going to be closed due to the marathon, I’d spotted some rather lovely looking shops in Windermere the day before and fancied a spot of window shopping.  We achieved the goal but then had a mad panic on reaching Windermere that Steven had left his phone in the shower block.  The 10 minute trip back to the campsite was a little tense to say the least.  When we got there we found the phone hadn’t been handed in and wasn’t still in the shower block.  It was then though that Steven looked down the side of the passenger seat and spotted it had slid off the shelf!  At that point I have to admit I lost the plot a little and had a mini meltdown (not the first or last no doubt) but after a couple of minutes of self expression we were on our way and just managed to jump in ahead of the traffic truck which was putting all the ‘Road Closed’ signs out.

Post coffee and tea cake and a few shops visited we were on our way to Grassmere.  Parking turned out to be a ‘mare so we continued on our way and decided to take a detour for fuel via Whitehaven on the coast.  Did you know that Whitehaven is the scene of the only ever invasion of Britain by the Americans???  Also it was built on a grid system which was later adopted by New York!!!  Fascinating eh?

Our drive continued towards Barrow-in-Furness and we spotted lots and lots of wild camping spots, even more than the ones I had downloaded from www.wildcamping.co.uk which show up very nicely on our CoPilot software as POI’s.

Anyway we ended up heading all the way to Blackpool mainly to try to get some decent BT with FON WiFi and to be ready for a day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.  Again the Wild Camping POI’s helped us out and we parked up by the side of the road last night on a fairly quiet road.  It started to get busy about 8am but that was OK.

The rain cleared about 11.30am at which point we entered Blackpool Pleasure Beach for some grown-up fun and managed at least one go on all the major rides, and we went on the InFusion ride 4 times (I might have even gone on 5 times)!  Being out of season there was hardly anyone there so there was zero queuing.  I expect in the height of summer we would have struggled to get on 1 an hour.

My work on Wed / Thurs in Leeds has been cancelled so we are now pondering on where to head for the rest of the week and at the moment it’s looking like the Peak District but for tonight we have chilled in front of the laptop watching the Da Vinci Code for a couple of hours.